Forum Roleplaying Questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Forum Roleplaying Questions

Post  Ferios on Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:05 pm

I want to say that I don't have a whole lot of forum-based roleplay experience. I try to lead by example in most of the things I do, but in this case.. I'm grasping, trying to figure out what to do without any real reference to go on, no way to know how it should work. It's actually the main reason why I was hesitant about making a forum in the first place. So I'd appreciate it if you two could help a bit.

Before winding up on ARC, I came from a chatroom-based roleplaying community. We did have a forum, but most of the forum was people posting short stories involving mostly their own characters (hence why I did that in my introduction for Kogane). There was little interaction between characters on the forums because of that; most of the roleplaying just happened in the chatroom. There's got to be a better way, right? So how are you guys used to it? Do you just make short posts back and fourth in the same thread?

Last edited by Ferios on Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile http://myanimelist.net/profile/Ferios

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Roleplaying Questions

Post  Ferios on Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:40 pm

Ah, I see. Thanks for the detailed description. That's exactly what I was looking for. Very Happy

So, if I'm understanding correctly, it's kind of like group storytelling? When you make posts in your own character's perspective, are you allowed to write what the other members' characters are doing as well if they're nearby?

I'm thinking I'll make introductory posts optional, since it was my presumptive blunder in the first place. That way people who want to start out as Masters can post an intro showing how they became one, and people who want to summon their Servant in normal roleplay (in the heat of things (the way Shirou did in the anime) or under the tutelage of the other Masters) can do so. Sound good?

As for the timeframe issue you pointed out.. Unfortunately for us, the Fate/stay world used a really vague date system from what I remember (no year, no date, just month or season). I guess day/month dates on introduction posts would be fine, but the year issue isn't something I can do much about. So just assume it's near-present-day for the year. It'd be hard to summon a Servant for a recent war any more than a month ago, anyway, unless the Servant is a remnant from a previous war (Gilgamesh). But it would be better to stay away from persistent Servants until we finish a war of our own, at which point people can keep their Servants around until the next one somehow if they wish.

Sorry if I'm asking an overwhelming amount of questions. This is just a lot different from what I'm used to. Embarassed But, on the other hand, it also seems like it would be a lot more fun.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ferios on Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:35 pm

Alright then, I think that's all I needed to know. Thanks again, it's a huge help. Smile

That does indeed sound far better than what I was attempting. I'm not going to make any level of detail a requirement, though; you all can be as short- or long-winded in your posts as you like. So yes, introductions optional, then chapters of story. Short or long doesn't make too much of a difference to me, so follow Eri's suggestion for talking to other players if you want to make a longer one. Especially if it's a combat scene. People get picky about that sort of thing.

Thread stickied in case this comes up again. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top